Monday 28 June 2010

It's Hanselmann's fault...

This post on Scott Hanselman's blog made me get around to setting up a lovely geeky blog. If just one person manages to solve a problem because I shared some of the wierd stuff I uncover when trying to develop or fix software, it'll have been more than worth it.

Alternatively, I might be able to save myself a load of time if I can point people at this, instead of explaining in gory detail the latest stupid problem I just found. It could save many friends the pain of having me rant on at them about it too. Win win win.

I seem to have an unerring ability to get involved in software issues where Googling the answer leads to no more than twenty links. Fifteen will be totally irrelevent. Four will be only slightly irrelevent, badly phrased forum questions from people with similar-ish problems. The answers will be wrong. Some will be from "experts" (spelt "i-d-i-o-t-s") who don't know what they are talking about but posted anyway because nature abhors a vacuum. Some will be from well-meaning individuals who simply haven't read the question properly. If you're lucky a Microsoft MVP will have regurgitated the official line, having totally missed the point. The MVPs are usually very helpful, but are often answering subtly the wrong question. Sometimes I get an answer to a problem I wasn't actually researching there :)

If I'm lucky, one answer will be right. Sometimes it will be a combination of posts that paint the full picture. I can't be the only person looking for these answers. Maybe if I put together posts joining some of the dots, there will be two successful search results for the other guys.

Of course, most of the stuff here won't be that deep. Never mind eh ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment